Journal of Edwin H. Bryan, Jr. while with the Whitney Expedition of the American Museum of Natural History on the schooner France, February to October 1924
Page 819
Image from the Biodiversity Heritage Library. Contributed by American Museum of Natural History. | www.biodiversitylibrary.org
Transcription
in shape and about the same size or slightly smaller than the eastern islet. The fringing reef does not extend as far off the N.W. point as indicated on the chart (H.O. 2851), it being only about 1/4 mile off shore. There is a rock on the reef off the S.S.W. side. A narrow arm of the fringing reef connects it with the smallest and most western of the islets. This western islet is even lower, not over 50 or 60 feet high to the top of the bushes. It is just a flat with open covering of scrub. A rocky shelf extends to the south for about 100 yards more. Anchored at 6:05 to the westward of the middle islet in 10 fathoms. Thursday, October 2, 1924. The "France" dragged off the reef at 2:30 A.M. Mr. Beck decided that we would not waste a day on the Likutolu islets and so we beat back to Vatu Vara during the early morning hours, reaching the north side at 7:15. This island, when viewed from the east or west resembles a high crowned (a' la William Jennings B-) hat. From the north it resembles a fireman's helmet. Though small in size the island has a central peak rising to a height of 1030 feet. Landed with ease on the north side at 7:30, at about high tide. Landing would be possible through a small gap in the reef (at present marked by a stick) at practically any time of the tide except perhaps with an on shore (northerly) wind. Met on beach by the native overseer. The island belonged to the late Capt. Wilson, who built a neat, substantial frame house on the north-west sand beach and set out numerous coconut palms. A path leads from the landing place to the house around the north-west point, traversing two small flats covered by coconut palms and fronted by sand beach. From the house a trail leads up onto a shelf on the north side of the